The HOPE Office was started in 1972 under the guidance and direction of Pastor Monsignor Duffy. He believed that the organization should be “…dedicated to the principle of sharing ourselves with those who need us. Sharing our talents, our time and sometimes our money to see that our fellow man has the necessities that will make his life a bit more livable.”
HOPE is an all-volunteer program that provides food, clothing, household items, and limited health supplies to those in need – senior citizens and families living in the City of Huntington Beach ONLY.
HOPE's programs are supported by tax-deductible donations from individuals, local businesses, schools, food banks, service clubs, and parish members.
The following programs are offered by HOPE:
HOPE Office (Monday through Friday 10am-3pm – numbers taken in at 2:30 pm)
The Office provides food (EFAP/USDA, EFSP/FEMA and purchased/donated), clothing, household items, and limited health supplies.
Senior Bag Program (Wednesday – 1st of each month)
Once a month seniors (60+), who meet the financial requirements, can participate in this program sponsored by HOPE. Each household receives a free supplemental bag of groceries.
CSFP (Commodities Supplemental Food Program) (Saturday – 2nd of each month)
Sponsored by Community Action Partnership of Orange County aka Orange County Food Bank, this program takes place once a month. The program is for seniors (60+) who meet the financial requirements. Each registered individual receives a supplemental box of food and a two pound block of cheese.
- Handcraft 500 angel ornaments for the Angel Trees, which procure gifts for the Christmas gift bags
- Horizon Pregnancy Center
- Deliver food/bread to multiple low income Senior living facilities
- Supply health aids to the sick (i.e. walkers, crutches, wheelchairs) – when available
- Provide clothing, food, health aids, and cardboard to St. Francis Home for the Aged
HOPE Volunteer Opportunities
The HOPE Office is an ALL volunteer program. We are in need of HELP and are looking for folks willing to give of their time and make some new friends along the way.
We need help with the following positions:
- Work a shift in the Office (two shifts per day 10am-12:30pm or 12:30-3pm, Monday-Friday): Desk (process paperwork with clients), Food Room (fill food orders for clients) OR Clothing Room (accept donations, sort and hang clothing).
- Pick-up food once a week from Albertson’s or Trader Joe’s (approximately 1-2 hours, must be able to lift 25 pounds and must have a large car or truck).
- Help oversee a clothing distribution program that runs simultaneously with the food distribution on the 2nd Saturday of the month.