As you can see, the first step in getting the project started has been completed. The trees surrounding the church and in the western planter in front of the church have been removed. It sure has brightened the inside of the Church during the day.
In preparation of the Hall to become our worship space during construction, the broken/malfunctioning windows will be replaced, the ceiling tiles will be secured and missing tiles replaced, and burnt out light tubes will be replaced. The Hall conference room will be re-purposed as a secure dedicated worship space containing the tabernacle allowing for a quiet place to spend time with Our Lord.
The landscape drawings and civil drawings have been completed but we have encountered a delay in completing the structural detailed drawings. The architect continues to work with the structural engineer in completing the necessary detailed drawings. Bid documents will not be created until this is completed. We won't have a firm construction start date until a General Contractor has been chosen. That will happen as soon as drawings are completed to the satisfaction of the architect, the project manager and the city (who has already given approval of the project,) and bid documents have been provided to the contractors. We are to give the contractors a few weeks to come back with their bids; then one will be chosen.
We are getting close to drafting bid documents for the number of general contractors who are interested in bidding on our renovation. We are currently waiting for the completion of the landscaping architectural drawings, drawings of the ADA required driveways off of Springdale, and more detailed mechanical drawings that the contractors will require for an accurate bid.
The project manager for the renovation has indicated that documents will be submitted to the interested contractors the week of April 23rd. He is indicating that we are still on target for an end of June/ beginning of July start date.
We have some exciting news! We have completed the first plan check with the city and our architect is completing the required changes to our detailed drawings. None of the required changes had a significant impact on cost. When completed, plans are resubmitted to the city for final plan check and approval. We hope we have resolved a FEMA permit issue. We should know definitively in the next week or two, but everything points to a positive resolution.
Once we have completed the final plan check, documents are drawn, opening the bidding process with general contractors. Bids are submitted and reviewed by the parish and the diocese and a contractor will be chosen for the project. It is at that time that we'll get a solid idea of a construction start date. We are still hopeful we will be able to start in April.
The project cost remains at $7.9M and we have committed to the Diocese that it will not be more than that. That figure is inclusive of approximately 20% in unforeseen contingencies that both the estimator and the Diocese has built into the estimate. There is currently over $4M in the bank and considering the outstanding pledges and the architecture/project management costs already paid, we will need to only draw $1.4M of the guaranteed Diocese $2M loan. Any additional pledge or gift will have a direct impact on what we'll have to borrow to complete the renovation.
Thank you to each and every one who has made a pledge through the capital campaign or has contributed a gift to the building fund. Your sacrifice to enhance the worship experience at St. Bonaventure will be a blessing for now and generations to come. For those of you who have yet to financially participate, it's never too late. Please know that paying back a $1.4M loan will be a struggle for the parish. The less we have to borrow, the better financial health we'll be in.
Thank you again for your support and for your continued prayers for the success of this important renovation.
It is with a heavy heart that we must announce that our beloved pine trees will need to be removed in preparation of the renovation work. We will begin removal over the next few weeks. The architect has been working with our landscaping company to develop a better plant and tree design that will not only enhance the beauty of our Church but also will be drought resistant.
When we move out of the Church during the renovation, we will be having services in the Hall each weekend. As part of the move, we will be having services in the Hall each weekend. As part of the move, we will be evaluating everything that is currently stored in the Church for one of three dispositions: